Thursday, May 27, 2004

It's just not a good time for file-sharing...

The RIAA has filed suit against another 493 people it says were illegally sharing music, and has reportedly resolved 486 cases already. These cases all seem to end with settlements and don't go to trial. And to make matters worse, the US government is moving forward with the PIRATE Act, which would let federal prosecutors file civil lawsuits against suspected infringers of copyright law. Wow. See, stuff like that is why I get music from Apple's iTunes Music Store - 99 cents a song and most albums are $9.99. I tell people who might be in a gift giving mood to get me a gift certificate, or go to Target and get me a pre-paid iTunes Music Store card. Easy for them to do, and really easy for me to use.
I already went on a rant once in the blog about the RIAA and it's litigious attitude toward file-sharing, and I don't want to revisit the issue entirely in this post. Read it for yourself HERE. It's just a sad state of affairs when failing businesses like the RIAA and SCO have to resort to suing everyone as a last-ditch attempt to make some cash. Maybe someday the only way to get music will be through some sort of file-sharing - that'd show 'em, right??

No comments: