Friday, May 28, 2004

Legislating against Gmail

California's state senate has approved a bill that limits Google's Gmail, and if passed will prevent Google from permanently saving data collected when they scan user's emails to place content ads in them. Huh. This isn't even a publicly available service yet, and already legislation is being drafted against it. Sure, this wouldn't prevent Google from launching Gmail - but I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. As long as we can trust Google not to utilize this data in ways contrary to the way they state it will be used (to place content-related advertisements in email messages you receive via your Gmail account) then this shouldn't be a problem. Heck, I've got a Gmail account, I've been in the beta test for over a month - and I hardly ever notice the ads. They are really that oblivious to me. It's like doing a Google websearch - you know the links over to the right are paid search results and maybe you pay attention to them, maybe you don't. At least this is how I look at it. Opinions differ, I suppose.
In movie news - a group of climatologists have seen the new film The Day After Tomorrow, and apparently find it rather, well, HILARIOUS. Good to see the stuffy scientists getting out to the movies and having a good laugh (heh).

No comments: